"The more our world functions like the natural world, the more likely we are to
endure on this home that is ours, but not ours alone."
Janine Benyus

Monday, May 9, 2011

DESIGNING

I experimented with the idea of creating two internal courtyards, similar to the 8 house. This form would frame specific views of the bridge and block out other elements. This form, however, constricted opportunities for the building components of my urban park.Throughout my process, the form of my urban park took on a very fluid, continuous landscape, where different levels of ground graduated into each other providing different perspectives of the site. This, however, didn't seem to work in plan form.
In keeping with the biomimicry processes, the theme of camouflage continued to intrigue me. I chose to use this approach to creating a building that will fit comfortably within it's context. In this case I chose to use bark for the facade as a "protector" of the building, as it protects trees (my biomimicry precedent).
I also played with the idea of extrapolating this form upwards to draw attention to other elements using the direction of line to draw the eye, as well as the theory of vertical illusion to manipulate ones perception, say, of the bridge.
I chose to layer the 'bark' facade to create a facade which allowed light to filter in in an interesting way. Behind this facade there is a cellular-like form that again filters light through that will also act as a ventilation filter and air circulator and filterer.








No comments:

Post a Comment